Thursday, April 9

3 Easy Steps to Caulking a Tub

After realizing that in 56 years no one has ever put caulking around the bathtub, that project quickly got added to my ever increasing to-do list. Having never done this before I was a little nervous about how it would turn out... however I am incredibly proud of the results!

Here are some quick steps on caulking a tub:

1. Clean up all the old caulking, mildew and soap scum from the edges of your tub. 



(our tub before the project, without any caulking at all)









2. You can either  a) Tape the bathtub with tub tape or painters tape to ensure nice clean lines and then apply the caulking in between.


(If you do this step, make sure to remove the tape before the caulking starts to skin over. The bead should look neat and even, but if it doesn't just smooth it out with your finger)









or b) Put the caulking straight on to the tub. 
I chose this approach... not because I knew what i was doing, but because I found this amazing tool called 'Caulk Rite' that allows you to apply caulking like a pro!

















3) Allow caulking about 48 hours to dry completely before using the bathtub or shower. 



This is the corner of our tub with one side completed. 
What an amazing difference the caulking made!




2 comments:

  1. They have this infomercial for a tool like the "Caulk Rite" on TV and every time I see it I want to buy it because it looks fantastic even though I have nothing to caulk! Anyways I am glad your tool did the job for you! Also I love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might have to have you come over and do ours...lol

    ReplyDelete